GENERAL JOB SUMMARY:
To join metals using GTAW and GMAW (Mig) welding processes and to cut metals using Oxy-Fuel cutting torch or plasma Arc cutting equipment. Must be proficient in welding Thin gage aluminum with the GTAW (Tig) and GMAW (Mig) processes and able to pass various welding tests in accordance with various AWS welding codes and Military Standards and Specifications.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Must have at least 1 year of experience Mig and Tig welding light gage aluminum and steel
- May be required to perform up to three types of welding processes including GMAW & GTAW in accordance with various AWS and Military Codes and Specifications. More senior level position may also require the ability to Oxy-Fuel weld.
- Must be able to read and understand Blueprints (drawings) and associated welding symbols
- Welds in flat, horizontal, vertical and overhead positions.
- Assists with and/or constructs welding jigs and fixtures; some layout required. More senior level position includes designing the layout.
- Selects proper welding parameters, and electrodes/filler metals for the particular type metal to be welded which may include ferrous and non-ferrous metals (i.e., aluminum, steel, stainless steel).
- Performs tack welding and Oxygen/Fuel torch for heating and cutting.
- Chips, grinds and cleans welds as necessary.
- Performs other tasks associated with welding, such as joining preparation, clamping, measurement verification, inspection of completed welds and providing count of completed pieces.
- Uses test equipment (i.e., fixed gages, fillet weld gages, pressure gages) to check work.
- Uses various tools and machines which may include GMAW, GTAW welding equipment, automatic welding gun, plasma cutter, oxygen/fuel torch, various grinding apparatus, and other tooling and equipment as needed.