GENERAL JOB SUMMARY:
The Chief Engineer provides technical vision for the assigned product line across all projects under the product line umbrella. For the product line: facilitates communication and synergy across the multiple projects through the development and maintenance of the product line technical road map; technical lead for proposals efforts through ownership of technical volume and technical basis of estimates; overall accountability for technical product lifecycle direction to meet strategic business objectives here at KUAS.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
· Overarching technical lead on unmanned aircraft systems under the assigned product line
· For project(s)/contract(s) without Sr. Project Engineer assignments under the assign product line, performs the Sr. Project Engineer roles
· Supports business development and program management as the lead technical contact for proposal efforts relating to the product line
· Creates and maintains the technical road map for the product line. This roadmap details the technical vision for the product line.
· Ensures project design implementation efforts under the product line umbrella are staying within the vision of the defined roadmap
· Facilitates communication with project engineers on the technical vision
· Communicates vision with upper management to ensure within the company vision
· Supports program management and project engineers with development of program planning strategies, technical cost estimates, evaluation of alternatives, risk management, logistics management, cost-performance trade-offs, preparation of data, status updates and presentations at customer reviews.
· Directs and works with project engineer(s) to develop solutions to customer requirements and facilitates resolutions where product line conflicts arise.
· For the assigned product line and product line derivatives, is the overriding design authority for the product including all new development and product enhancements
· Responsible for facilitating the integration of multi-program/project requirements without compromising the integrity of the product line and ideally optimizing both the design/manufacturing configuration and the cost
· Assists with setting priorities across the product line. Ensures roles and responsibilities are clearly defined and coordinated with project engineer(s).
- Provides support to Project Engineer(s) as necessary, to include, but not limited to project planning, estimating, execution of project tasks and management of the engineering team or Production Program Managers (PPMs).
- Assists the functional managers with developing and implementing improved procedures and standards to ensure that output is high quality, accurate, on-time, and within budget; which includes establishing metrics (key performance indicators) for the engineering projects and accountabilities for achieving results.
- Provides direction and leadership on technical and technology issues and collaborates with Chief Technical Officer, Vice President of Engineering, Technical Director, and/or Engineering Operations Manager, as appropriate from cross-product line issues and lessons learned.
- Defines and manages risks of technical approaches in terms of resources/tools and personnel needs across the product line.
- Enforces the execution of company engineering design processes.
- Lead failure analysis and root cause investigation using corrective action tools and techniques needed to efficiently solve problems
- Fosters ethical conduct and personal integrity throughout Engineering to ensure KUAS’s ability to attract and retain customers in a highly competitive environment.
- Assists the project engineer(s) with customer interfacing as necessary, ensuring that all company products and services are meeting customer requirements, goals, and expectations.
- Reports progress across the product line in meeting external/internal customer requirements, goals, and expectations as it relates to the technical roadmap
- Provide mentorship to product line project engineer(s)
- Assist in accomplishing human resource strategies by communicating and enforcing values, policies, and procedures; mentoring product line Project Engineer(s), providing input into the appraisal of employees, and reviewing/recognizing job contributions.
Other Job Functions
Other duties may be assigned
Facilitates implementation of the technical objectives of the company’s product line design strategy working closely with the Sr. Project Engineers to ensure the design approach and solutions are aligned with the product line vision
May be assigned to lead complex, multi-system, multi-discipline engineering projects outside of the assigned product line
No direct reports
Achieves results through leading and mentoring Senior Project Engineers and/or Project Engineers in a matrixed environment