GENERAL JOB SUMMARY:
Verify and retain records on incoming or outgoing shipments. Compares identifying information of incoming or outgoing shipments to verify against bills of lading, invoices, orders, or other records. May route items to departments.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
The duties and responsibilities listed below apply to all levels of Shipping & Receiving Clerks. Each level of Shipping & Receiving Clerk has additional duties and responsibilities, as listed below.
- Maintains files and records of shipping and receiving documents for domestic and international transactions.
- Prepares documentation for shipment of materials, parts, finished goods and related items.
- Verifies incoming shipments for the appropriate items, damages, record and sign for shipments.
- Unloads and loads trucks.
- Ensures that all export requirements provided by Trade Compliance Manager are adhered to.
- Checks items to be shipped against work orders to ascertain that quantities, destinations and routings are correct.
- Verifies that materials received are as ordered in both type and quantity.
- Routes incoming shipments to proper departments or destination.
- Routes MSDS to the appropriate department.
- Ensures ERP is accurate with receiving of P.O.’s and Outprocess Work orders.
- Follows Customer or internal Packaging Requirements, including labeling, and packages shipments sufficiently to avoid shipping damage.
- Identifies and reports part discrepancies.
- Uses a forklift truck, hoist, or other material handling equipment.
- Looks for dock safety concerns and when identified, reports them to supervisor.
- Follows all ISO procedures.
- Maintains a clean work area and ensuring strict adherence to the 5S Standards.
Shipping/Receiving Clerk II
- Works under general supervision.
- Trains less skilled Shipping & Receiving Clerks.
- Performs all Shipping and Receiving functions.
- Identifies process deficiencies and reports to Supervisor.
- Identifies part discrepancies and reports to Supervisor with recommendations for correction.
- Ensures that received materials are accompanied with a Material Safety Data Sheet, as applicable.
- Maintains both Shipping and Receiving areas per company requirements and management direction without direct supervision.
- Understands and is responsible for shelf-life requirements and labeling upon receipt.
Shipping/Receiving Clerk III
- Maintains the necessary government required security clearance for transporting, handling and shipping collateral materials and access to SCIF and SAPF.
- Works under minimal supervision.
- Mentors and trains Shipper & Receiving Clerk I-II.
- Creates documentation and assigns correct descriptions and UN numbers on bills of lading.
- Receives all “non-product” receipts.
- Maintains the Shipping and Receiving departmental work instructions and the related matrix.
- Ensures proper process is followed for RMA and RTV processing.
- Provides assistance to the Traffic Coordinator in performing negotiation, quoting, and specialized packaging development.
- Confirms that Customer or internal Packaging Requirements are followed, including labeling, and that shipments are packaged sufficiently to avoid shipping damage.
- Performs cycle count inventories, as needed for shipping/receiving packaging and supplies.
- Drives company vehicles and sustains valid driver’s license and insurance to safely perform delivery functions in compliance with all regulatory requirements applicable.
- Identifies and researches process deficiencies and part discrepancies and reports recommendations for correction to Inventory Analyst.
- Processes and documents incoming engine receipts via ERP.
- Provides backup support, as required, to the Traffic Coordinator.
- Assists Property Administrators and Inventory Analysts with audits, as needed.
- Assists Property Administrators as needed to perform shipping functions related to Plant Clearance approved dispositions.
- Performs safety inspections and reports any issues to the Material Control Supervisor.
Other Job Functions – all levels
- Other duties may be assigned
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
Each successive level of Shipping & Receiving Clerk builds on the identified typical knowledge, skills and abilities listed for the previous level(s) Shipping & Receiving Clerk.
- Ability to maintain sensitive and confidential information as required by government standards
- Ability to interact effectively with peers and supervisors
- Ability to interact appropriately with the public when necessary
- Ability to adhere to workplace rules
- Ability to obtain and maintain required certifications/training to safely operate forklift truck, hoist, or other material handling equipment.
- Ability to communicate clearly, both in writing and verbally.
- Must be able to demonstrate accurate basic math skills.
- Must be able to demonstrate basic computer skills.
- Ability to obtain the Certifications required of Shipping/Receiving Clerk II-III or as needed to perform duties and functions assigned.
Shipping/Receiving Clerk II
- Basic to Intermediate computer skills with the ability to navigate around files.
- Ability to obtain and maintain current certifications in IATA, DOT, HAZMAT, IMDG, as required.
- Ability to obtain Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms [ATF] explosive handling certification, if required.
- Sustain active permit status as an Employee Possessor of Explosives.
- Possess the ability to understand FAR and DFAR regulation clauses related to shipping and receiving.
- Is trained in and understands Shipping and Receiving functions and possess the ability to perform functions.
- Ability to identify process deficiencies.
- Ability to identify part discrepancies and make recommendations for correction.
Shipping/Receiving Clerk III
- Intermediate to Advanced computer skills with the ability to navigate around files.
- Basic Hazardous Materials Training preferred.
- Experience shipping to foreign countries preferred.
- Obtain and maintain current certifications of Shipping & Receiving Clerk I-II
- Ability to understand and apply FAR and DFAR regulation clauses to job functions related to shipping and receiving.
- Ability to distinguish the differences and ensure proper process is followed for RMA and RTV processing.