GENERAL JOB SUMMARY:
Perform a diverse array of engineering tasks related to the design, simulation, test, and validation of aircraft control systems, flight control software, and higher level autonomy functions here at KUAS.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
The duties and responsibilities listed below apply to all levels of Guidance, Navigation, and Control Engineers. Each successive level of Guidance, Navigation, and Control Engineer builds on job functions listed for the previous level(s) of Guidance, Navigation, and Control Engineer.
- Aircraft dynamics, subsystem modeling and simulation
- Control system gain and filter design and stability margin evaluation
- Evaluation of flight dynamics, flying qualities, and aircraft flight path performance
- Perform non-linear control system robustness testing
- Design and implement operator interfaces, autonomous logic algorithms, waypoint following, and path generation algorithms
- Guidance algorithm development, analysis and test
- Navigation system design, analysis, and test
- Derive subsystem requirements and specifications
- Support subsystem testing and verification
- Flight test planning, execution, and analysis
- Support aircraft design at all phases of development
- Wind tunnel test planning support
- Support various hardware/software design, test, troubleshooting, and documentation activities
- Analyses in support of requirements generation, verification, and validation
- Prepare formal, controlled engineering documentation (i.e. drawings, specifications, test procedures, technical reports, etc.).
- Prepare and presents design review material in support of technical interchange meetings with suppliers and external/internal customers.
- Support customer training activities
- Foreign and domestic travel to support flight test activities
Guidance, Navigation, & Control Engineer I
Guidance, Navigation, & Control Engineer II
- Performs moderate engineering tasks as assigned by their manager.
- Acts as lead engineer as required for various contract deliverables.
- Presents design review and technical interchange material to major customers.
- Develop analyses in support of requirements generation, verification, and validation.
- Provides onsite support during various test activities.
- Mentors Level I Guidance, Navigation, & Control Engineers.
- Supports business development efforts in preparation of proposals.
Guidance, Navigation, & Control Engineer III
- Performs complex engineering tasks as assigned by their manager.
- Supports program planning of engineering activities through detailed scope definition.
- May act as System Engineer to help communicate top level requirements to subsystems and determine proper verification and validation methods.
- Reports progress on engineering efforts to technical leadership.
- Provides direction and oversight, both technically and programmatically, to Guidance, Navigation, & Control Engineers.
- Establishes and maintains best practices for design, analysis, and testing responsibilities held by the Guidance, Navigation, and Control group.
- Mentors Level I-II Guidance, Navigation, & Control Engineers.
Guidance, Navigation, & Control Engineer IV
- Manages the engineering team’s effort and time within the budget and schedule provided for the task.
- Acts as key liaison for programs (both internal and external) on all matters having to do with aerodynamic design and performance, stability and control, propulsion, modeling and simulation, and verification.
- Stays current on the "state-of-the-practice" through training and industry involvement/exposure, and mentors the Guidance, Navigation, and Control group with this knowledge.
- Mentors Level I-III Guidance, Navigation, & Control Engineers.
Other Job Functions
- Other duties may be assigned