The Buyer is responsible for supporting the sourcing, value analysis, bidding, negotiation, selection, approval, purchase, receipt, and quality of all materials for assigned commodities. The Buyer works closely with Material Program Managers and Production Planners to ensure supplier quality requirements and customer delivery is achieved through accurate and timely management of purchase orders for assigned commodities.
Essential Job Functions
The duties and responsibilities listed below apply to all levels of Buyers. Each level of Buyer has additional duties and responsibilities listed.
- Supports the development and maintenance of effective supplier relationships to achieve company goals to include achieving schedule, reducing material lead times, improving quality, reliable delivery performance and favorable pricing.
- Obtains competitive bids as appropriate.
- Researches sources of supply and requests supplier viability data (i.e. Survey Information, ISO Certifications).
- Updates and maintains supplier records.
- Reviews, reports and updates ERP (CinCom) data related to supplier records.
- Supports Supplier Performance Reviews by printing reports, organizing data reviews with buyers, obtaining approvals, and issuing report and cover letter to suppliers.
- Supports senior level buyers with transactions for return to vendor, Government owned property and other buyer responsibilities.
- Attends meetings both internal and with suppliers, as needed.
- Follows established QMS procedures .
- Takes initiative in recognizing and proposing process improvement opportunities.
- Responsible for maintaining a clean and safe work area.
- Other assignments and/or projects as required .
- Manages procurement for small project-unique materials and some commodity procurement.
- Utilizes system reports and other inputs applying limited experience and judgment to meet production requirements and minimize inventory holding costs.
- Responsible for effective supplier management , tracking of supplier issues and performance , sourcing, proposals and supplier consolidation efforts.
- Mentors and trains level I Buyers.
Other Job Functions
- Other duties may be assigned