GENERAL JOB SUMMARY:
To set-up and operate various types of machines & equipment to fabricate tooling and fixtures to be used to produce piece parts and shelters and to achieve quality and integrity of products at the lowest possible cost.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Receives instructions verbally or from layouts and detailed tool drawings & blue prints.
- Will be required to set-up and operate all types of machines required to fabricate tooling, dies and fixtures; including lathe, milling machine, drill press, grinder, surface grinder, shaper, tool grinder, radial drill. Welding machines, various bench mounted equipment and all types of hand tools both electric and air operated.
- Performs operations that will include boring, counter boring, turning, tapping, threading, milling, drilling, reaming, broaching, knurling, counter sinking, sawing, grinding cutting, sharpening, chamfering, deburring, welding.
- Assists with and or constructs templates, tools, dies, shop aids and fixtures, some layout required.
- Will produce pieces or parts for prototypes as well as machine and building maintenance parts or assembly as needed.
- Assists with and or performs repairs to templates, tools, dies, fixtures, and shop aids.
- Assists with or repairs machines and equipment as required or requested by the Maintenance dept.
- All level positions may perform other functions such as moving parts/material, loading/unloading, sweeping, cleaning and various other assignments as needed.
- Uses various measuring and inspection equipment, tools and machines to verify work.
- Maintains a clean and safe work area.
- Performs other related duties and assignments as required. Will be asked to work outdoors on occasion as well as in other departments in the shop as need or required by shop work load.
Other Job Functions
- Tasks are varied and moderately complex, judgment may be required to adapt standard procedures to resolve problems.
- Some interpretation of data is needed and requires modification or refinement of established analytical techniques to clarify the issue.
- Duties, objectives, and results are generally specified and in accordance with well-defined policies/procedures or precedence.
- Works under only general direction. Independently determines and develops approaches to solutions. Work is reviewed upon completion for completeness & accuracy. Works closely with tool design & planning Depts.
- May exercise leadership in a work group by giving advice, guidance, direction, and training to junior staff; maintaining quality, accuracy, quantity of work of others. May function as team leader of a small group on a small project.
This position does not require supervisory responsibilities.