Responsible for integrating demand across product lines to include; capacity management and master production scheduling. Develops, implements, and improves manufacturing and industrial processes to effect maximum product throughput and optimum resource efficiency. Coordinates engineering changes to existing product lines and manages new product introductions. Sets work standards, work-flows, and defines resource requirements for assigned programs. Is expected to apply and champion Lean Manufacturing methodologies in all areas of the manufacturing cycle. Works closely with other engineers and other functional departments to ensure schedule, systems, and part/process data integrity.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
Industrial Engineer I
- Defines and measures production touch labor times at the detail part number level and, using statistical methods, manages times as needed to provide for the most accurate shop planning.
- Measures factory and work center capacity and provide metrics to Production PMT and shop floor planning and help production ensure capacity and load stay within required parameters.
- Uses MRP system to group part families and define template standards to more effectively communicate and control the flow of materials and product.
- Manages MRP routing times to keep all parts up to date with the latest standards.
- Drafts and designs layout of equipment, materials, and work space to illustrate maximum efficiency.
- Applies statistical methods and performs mathematical calculations to determine manufacturing processes, staff requirements, and production standards.
- Establishes, verifies and inputs setup times to ensure maximum efficiency.
- As needed, conducts time & motion studies to establish standard cycle times for families of parts.
- Works on projects with production engineering team to manufacture parts or products with maximum efficiency.
- Calculates and recommends economic order quantities for applicable make parts.
- Complies with established safety directives.
- Maintains a clean work area and ensuring strict adherence to the 5S Standards.
- Complies with established QMS procedures.
Other Job Functions for All Levels
- Works with customer released or KUAS released drawings and/or CAD models, engineering BOMs, and other engineering specifications to develop, implement and improve manufacturing processes.
- Designs, coordinates and validates work station layouts with an emphasis on ergonomics, single piece or small batch flow, visual aids, Poke Yoke (mistake proofing), 5S, and zero defect policies.
- Supports training as needed for new or revised process implementation.
- Works with Materials department to develop inventory requirements by station including buffers and safety stock levels, rack/bin sizes, and replenishment methodology such as Kanbans.
- Reviews and designs in-process handling equipment for the safe and expeditious transportation of parts, inventory, and/or tooling.
- Other duties may be assigned
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
- Ability to maintain sensitive and confidential information as required by government standards
- Ability to interact effectively with peers and supervisors
- Ability to interact appropriately with the public when necessary
- Ability to adhere to workplace rules
- Ability to effectively communicate professionally in writing or verbally with all levels of personnel
- Ability to perform stastical analysis and mathematical calculation accurately and understand the application to relevant work assignments logically.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
Industrial Engineer I
- Requires BS degree in a technical field (Mechanical, Manufacturing, or Industrial Engineering preferred). In the absence of a technical degree, the position requires 6 years technical experience in a related field.
- May be required to obtain and maintain a U.S. security clearance at the appropriate level (requires U.S. Citizenship).
- Knowledge of lean manufacturing methods.
- Experience with Manufacturing Resource Planning software
WORK ENVIRONMENT / PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS:
- Office and/or manufacturing environment.
- Standing on a hard surface, walking. Some lifting (not over 25lbs).
- May work extended hours or weekends.
- Ability to stand and sit for long periods of time
- Ability to perform repetitive motion (keyboarding, 10-key, phones)
- 0-25% May be required to travel between other KUAS locations.