The Buyer is responsible for supporting the sourcing, value analysis, bidding, negotiation, selection, approval, purchase, receipt, and quality of all materials for assigned commodities. The Buyer works closely with Material Program Managers and Production Planners to ensure supplier quality requirements and customer delivery is achieved through accurate and timely management of purchase orders for assigned commodities.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
The duties and responsibilities listed below apply to all levels of Buyers. Each level of Buyer has additional duties and responsibilities listed.
- Supports the development and maintenance of effective supplier relationships to achieve company goals to include achieving schedule, reducing material lead times, improving quality, reliable delivery performance and favorable pricing.
- Obtains competitive bids as appropriate.
- Researches sources of supply and requests supplier viability data (i.e. Survey Information, ISO Certifications).
- Updates and maintains supplier records.
- Reviews, reports and updates ERP (CinCom) data related to supplier records.
- Supports Supplier Performance Reviews by printing reports, organizing data reviews with buyers, obtaining approvals, and issuing report and cover letter to suppliers.
- Supports senior level buyers with transactions for return to vendor, Government owned property and other buyer responsibilities.
- Attends meetings both internal and with suppliers, as needed.
- Follows established QMS procedures.
- Takes initiative in recognizing and proposing process improvement opportunities.
- Responsible for maintaining a clean and safe work area.
- Other assignments and/or projects as required.
- Primary source for procurement of MRO materials and other non-direct materials.
- Utilizes system reports and other sources to meet production requirements and minimize inventory holding costs.
- Participates in the disposition of surplus, salvage, returned and discrepant materials.
- Notifies appropriate personnel when ordered material may be/or is past scheduled delivery date.
- Reviews material requirements to support production schedules and avoid expediting fees.
- Manages procurement for small project-unique materials and some commodity procurement.
- Utilizes system reports and other inputs applying limited experience and judgment to meet production requirements and minimize inventory holding costs.
- Responsible for effective supplier management, tracking of supplier issues and performance, sourcing, proposals and supplier consolidation efforts.
- Mentors and trains level I Buyers.
- Manages procurement for assigned project unique materials, assigned commodities, and Sub-Contracts.
- Obtains competitive bids as appropriate. Quotes new materials for existing customers and new projects/Sales.
- Develops sources of supply and manages supplier performance.
- Utilizes system reports and other inputs applying advanced experience and judgment to meet production requirements and minimize inventory and increase turns.
- Utilizes experience and judgment to solve complex problems and recommend solutions proactively.
- Mentors and trains level I-II Buyers.
Other Job Functions
- Other duties may be assigned
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
Each successive level of Buyer builds on the identified knowledge, skills and abilities listed for the previous level(s) Buyer.
- Ability to maintain sensitive and confidential information as required by government standards
- Ability to interact effectively with peers and supervisors
- Ability to interact appropriately with the public when necessary
- Ability to adhere to workplace rules
- Ability to solve problems with assistance, resulting from the nature of items produced and purchased.
- High degree of integrity; solid judgment and initiative.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and ability to interface well with other internal departments and outside suppliers.
- Proficiency in automated business planning and control systems (MRP), as well as MS Office applications.
- Must be detail oriented with the ability to manage multiple priorities and follow- assignments through to successful completion.
- Must be able to think analytically to complete work while meeting deadlines.
- Must be able to manage multiple priorities and be willing to seek assistance as needed from peers and/or manager.
- Must have the ability to work independently and collaboratively in a team.
- Must be able to professionally handle a fast-paced work environment with competing demands and/or shifts in priorities.
- May be required to obtain and maintain a U.S. security clearance at the appropriate level (requires U.S. Citizenship).
- Ability to solve complex problems independently resulting from the complex nature of items produced and purchased, with limited assistance.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Foreign language skills a large plus.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- B.S. Degree in related field preferred, Minimum of 1 year directly related experience, preferably in an aerospace or composites manufacturing environment. Additional experience may be considered in lieu of degree.
- B.S. Degree in related field preferred, minimum of 3 years directly related experience, preferably in an aerospace or composites manufacturing environment. Exposure or limited experience in a Lean Manufacturing environment preferred. Additional experience may be considered in lieu of degree.
- Some experience managing/measuring supplier performance.
- B.S. Degree in related field preferred, minimum of 8 years directly related experience, preferably in an aerospace or composites manufacturing environment. Exposure or limited experience in a Lean Manufacturing environment preferred. Additional experience may be considered in lieu of degree.
- Experience managing and measuring supplier performance required.
WORK ENVIRONMENT / PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS:
- Office and or manufacturing environment
- Ability to stand and sit for long periods of time
- Ability to perform repetitive motion (keyboarding, 10-key, phones)
- Ability to lift up to 25 pounds
0-10% May be required between KUAS locations and or vendor sites.