The Engineering Operations Manager is a staff position reporting directly to the Vice-President of Engineering, and serves as the manager overseeing engineering operations in organizational responsibilities and can also serve as deputy to the Director of Engineering. This position is principally responsible for the oversight and, as required, direction of Engineering functional resources to achieve overall CEi Engineering and Program objectives.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Provides oversight and leadership for Chief Engineers along with programmatic mentorship on budgets, ETCs, schedules, and customer interaction.
- Supports complex, multi-system, multi-discipline project teams with a focus on technical, cost, and schedule performance.
- Serves as Design Authority when required in the absence of direct platform Design Authority.
- Develops, maintains and enforces resource allocation plans and forecasts to ensure proper program execution by Engineering program support groups.
- In conjunction with Director of Engineering, supports technical training and development of engineers under the direction of the Vice President of Engineering, participating in staff loading estimation, hiring, and releasing personnel as required.
- Provides Chief Engineers with performance feedback on project/program teams for development of appraisals.
- Reports project/program status and performance as part of the departments status review schedule and/or as directed.
- Interfaces with the customer and other company personnel on technical, production, and procurement issues.
- Keeps internal and external customers informed of project schedules and status.
- Ensures that the Chief Engineers achieve objectives for scheduling, engineering, quality, and cost control.
- Works with Director of Engineering and other internal departments to develop a resource allocation plan to support program execution.
- Supports tactical planning and execution activities across programs.
- Promotes effective and productive team activities by focusing on and participating in critical tasks, ensuring deadlines are met, promoting best practices through example, and use of outstanding communication and coordination practices.
- Applies advanced skills to critical or high visibility tasks and applies insights to critical activities.
- Ensures ISO and CEi process execution, including creating and tracking metrics and supporting audits.
- Responsible for cross-platform project oversight and IRAD project management.
- Other responsibilities relevant to position as assigned.
Other Job Functions
- Effective and regular communications with internal customers, senior management at CEi, Program Managers and other program personnel to promote a cohesive team.
- May have frequent contact with customers, business partners, and/or vendors as required
- Supports Vice-President, Director of Engineering, and the Engineering Department in project budget tracking and cost analysis (assigned proposals and contracts); budget monitoring and periodic forecasting of expenditures.
- Other duties may be assigned
- May have direct supervision responsibility of Chief Engineers, Deputy Chief Engineers, and/or engineers, as deemed necessary by organizational structures.
- Collaborates with program management and platform engineering leadership to support planning, assigning, and directing work; addressing complaints and resolving problems for personnel on assigned programs.
- Collaborates across functional organizations to meet engineering programmatic goals
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- Ability to maintain sensitive and confidential information as required by government standards
- Ability to interact effectively with peers and supervisors
- Ability to interact appropriately with the public when necessary
- Ability to adhere to workplace rules
- Demonstrated ability to plan, organize, staff, control and direct complex engineering (development) and production projects using tools and techniques (with advanced understanding) associated with earned value, risk, and schedule management.
- Demonstrated negotiation and team building skills.
- Ability to effectively direct goal oriented activities of a diverse Team in an Integrated Product Team (IPT) environment.
- Senior level technical and cost performance reporting skills.
- Demonstrated mastery of development and use of Integrated Master Plans and Schedules (IMP/IMS), Risk and Opportunity Management Plans, use of a Structured Decision and Analysis Resolution process.
- Knowledge of the marketplace and customer needs, objectives, and expectations.
- Ability to work with minimal oversight.
- Ability to travel domestically and internationally.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelors degree in Engineering and 10+ years of experience as a program or engineering manager, preferably on DoD acquisition programs/projects.
- A thorough understanding of formal systems engineering, development technologies, and applicable military and commercial specifications and standards.
- Strong combination of technical skills, program management skills, communications, and interpersonal skills.
- Extensive knowledge of and experience with the DoD acquisition process.
- Direct experience applying FAR, DFAR as well as ITAR regulations to work products and business operations.
- Must possess and maintain a U.S. security clearance at the appropriate level (requires U.S. Citizenship).
WORK ENVIRONMENT / PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS:
- Will work in office, field, and manufacturing environments with potential exposure to uncontrolled climate conditions and potential exposure to noise, dust and hazardous chemicals.
- Primarily uses computer and phone in an office environment.
- Ability to think analytically and produce accurate analysis and use good judgment to conduct assigned responsibilities accurately and effectively.
- May work extended hours or weekends
- Travel may be required.