Program Directors provide leadership and specific direction to one or more Program Managers and associated cross-functional support teams to meet and exceed their business area financial, customer, and internal business objectives. The Program Director is responsible for the both the execution of the programs within assigned portfolio, as well as for providing strategic direction to ensure that the business area provides sustainable, recurring value. As such, the Program Director must provide both strategic leadership as well as be able to support tactical execution in the areas of proposal direction, preparation, and negotiation, customer relationship development and maintenance, programs execution, performance status and presentations, coordination of resources, customer interface, and logistics support for all programs and projects under the Program Directors purview.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Provides business area leadership and oversight to assigned Program Managers and cross-functional support team, develops strategic business area growth strategies, manages portfolio execution to meet contract and company commitments, and champions process excellence to continually improve operations and performance on assigned programs.
- Simultaneously provides leadership and guidance to business-area programs and interfaces with all customers (internal and external) effectively.
- Leads Program Managers and associated cross-functional team members in the execution of all phases of a program from inception to completion.
- Ensures Program Management leadership of proposal preparation and negotiation on applicable efforts within the portfolio.
- Ensures program plans (e.g., budgets, schedules and status reporting) are established and monitored for each program.
- Ensures Program Managers effectively use integrated teams which may include: Purchasing, Engineering, Manufacturing, Quality Assurance, Finance, Logistics and Administrative areas, including Program Planning & Control.
- Responsible for the P&L on all business areas programs and meeting contractual requirements.
- Communicates with customers at the appropriate level, and mentors portfolio team in appropriate and beneficial customer communications.
- Develops in-depth knowledge of the customer organization and establishes close personal relationships with key decision-makers.
- Ensures the customer perspective is defined, maintained, developed, monitored, and communicated to the COO and functional area Senior Managers and Executives.
- Conducts professional briefings and technical meetings for executive management and customer representatives.
- Mentors assigned business area Program Managers in program management processes. Drives the identification, capture and implementation of best business practices across the business area, and communicates those to VP of Programs.
Other Job Functions
- Effective and regular communications with ALL levels of Customers, senior management, internal Program Managers and other program personnel to promote a cohesive team.
- Responsible for program/project budget preparation/control and cost analysis (assigned proposals and contracts); and program financial performance (P&L).
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- Ability to maintain sensitive and confidential information as required by government standards
- Ability to interact effectively with peers and supervisors
- Ability to interact appropriately with the public when necessary
- Ability to adhere to workplace rules
- Ability to effectively direct goal oriented activities of a geographically diverse Team in an Integrated Product Team (IPT) environment.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelors degree in Engineering or Business and 15+ years of experience as a program/project/engineering manager, preferably on DoD acquisition programs/projects.
- Demonstrated ability to plan, organize, staff, control and direct complex software and hardware engineering (development) and production projects using tools and techniques (with Advanced/Special understanding) associated with earned value, risk, and schedule management.
- A thorough understanding of engineering, development technologies, and applicable military and commercial specifications and standards.
- Demonstrated capability to lead major subcontractors and suppliers in meeting challenging schedules.
- Demonstrated negotiation and team building skills.
- Strong combination of technical skills, program management skills, sales, and negotiation skills.
- Senior level technical and cost performance reporting.
- Demonstrated mastery of development and use of Integrated Master Plans and Schedules (IMP/IMS), Risk and Opportunity Management Plans, use of a Structured Decision and Analysis Resolution process.
- Ability to work with minimal oversight.
- Is required to obtain and maintain a U.S. security clearance at the Top Secret level (requires U.S. Citizenship).
- Formal program management training and US military background is desired.
- Certified CMMi program life cycle process implementation experience desired.
WORK ENVIRONMENT / PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS:
- Office, manufacturing or field environments.
- Office and or manufacturing environment
- Ability to stand and sit for long periods of time
- Ability to perform repetitive motion (computer usage)
- Ability to lift up to 25 pounds
- May work extended hours or weekends.
- May have some exposure to the manufacturing environment with potential exposure to uncontrolled climate conditions and potential exposure to noise, dust and hazardous chemicals/waste.
- Moderate to heavy travel may be domestically and internationally.