**Active Security Clearance Required**
Creates, develops, plans, writes and edits technical documentation and manuals for customers that describe CEis products and how to use them, including proofing, verification & validation of, and the preparation of training materials in accordance with contractual requirements.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS: The duties and responsibilities listed below apply to all levels of Technical Writer. Each level of Technical Writer has additional duties and responsibilities listed.
Technical Writer (all)
- Generates documentation per contractual data requirements for projects that affect multiple systems, involve several suppliers/teaming partners, and require infrequent customer interface.
- Manages effort and time within the budget and schedule provided and is responsible for working within the allocated budget.
- Reports project status periodically (actual budget/schedule vs. proposed budget/schedule).
- With acute attention to detail, plans projects and executes to the plan.
- Utilizes understanding of government contractual requirements as defined in applicable Data Item Descriptions (DIDs) outlined in the Contract Data Requirements List (CDRL) to develop accurate and compliant documentation.
- Utilizes understanding of technical source data, including interviews of technicians and engineering personnel, interpreting that data into written assembly procedures, line art/illustrations, and descriptions.
- Prepares formal, controlled technical documentation (ie. user manuals, technical orders, training materials, flight manuals, etc.) in the formats requested by each customer.
- Prepares and presents documentation review material in support of technical interchange meetings with suppliers and external/internal customers.
- Supports business development efforts in preparation of quotes, proposals and sales efforts.
- Coordinates and conducts verification and validation activities associated with technical documentation, including interface with the customer.
- Develops and complies with standardized templates and formats for internal and external documentation, presentations, and training materials.
- Complies with established QMS procedures.
- Tracks time spent on jobs and enters it electronically.
- Other duties may be assigned, inclusive of some Configuration or Data Management duties
Technical Writer II:
- Performs all duties listed above.
- Generates documentation per contractual data requirements for complex projects that affect multiple systems, involve several suppliers/teaming partners, and require frequent customer interface.
- May be called upon to conduct training for customers and orient them to technical documentation from time to time.
- Acts as a key proposal lead for written technical volumes.
- Interacts with and may direct assignments of Technical Illustrator and lower level Technical Writers to ensure final product is compliant with customer requirements and represents company professionally.
- Mentors and trains lower level Technical Writers.
- Other duties may be assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED: The education and experience listed below apply to and build upon all successive levels of Technical Writer.
- Ability to maintain sensitive and confidential information as required by government standards
- Ability to interact effectively with peers and supervisors
- Ability to interact appropriately with the public when necessary
- Some familiarity with Military Standards and Specifications applicable to technical manuals and documentation, i.e. MIL-STD-38784, MIL-DTL-23618, MIL-DTL-81927, MIL-STD-3001, and MIL-PRF-83495B.
- Ability to adhere to workplace rules
- Ability to maintain detailed and accurate records, controlling revision history.
- Ability to be self-motivated and work independently in a fast paced, dynamic work environment
- Effective time management and prioritization skills
- Familiarity with desktop publishing tools (MS Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Enovia DMU Navigator, DWG Editor, Catia, AutoCad, Arbortext and/or Framemaker).
- Demonstrated passion for customer satisfaction.
- Demonstrated strong communication skills.
- Ability to travel as necessary.
Technical Writer II
- Understanding of Military Standards and Specifications applicable to technical manuals and documentation, i.e. MIL-STD-38784, MIL-DTL-23618, MIL-DTL-81927, MIL-STD-3001, and MIL-PRF-83495B.
- Working knowledge of desktop publishing tools (MS Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Enovia DMU Navigator, DWG Editor, Catia, AutoCad, Arbortext and/or Framemaker