Trims, grinds, drills and sands composite parts to precise dimensions. Mixes and applies appropriate adhesives to bond parts. Assemble components to form subassemblies per documentation directions.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Builds up, fabricates, cures, and assembles various types of plastic, ceramic and composite products and assemblies, including bonded and mechanically-fastened assemblies.
- Locates to all critical reference points, and assures coordination of parts and subassemblies to exacting tolerances when required in building assemblies, and in incorporating design or modification changes, which materially alter previous assembly references and sequence; builds laminated assemblies by determining proper placement, and laying up composite, plastic and metal parts and adhesives onto tools or molds.
- Prepares parts for bagging, including placement of bleeders, thermocouples, probes and vacuum connections, checks seals on completed bagged parts for leaks.
- Sets up assemblies and parts in various types of processing and curing equipment such as an autoclave, oven or platen press in order to obtain desired set and cure.
- Operates autoclave controls to obtain and maintain proper temperature, pressure and time cycle in accordance with engineering materials process specifications; corrects defects as required.
- Trims, grinds, drills and sands composite parts to precise dimensions.
- Mixes and applies appropriate adhesives to bond parts.
- Operates shop related machinery including, but not limited to, ovens, pneumatic tools, common hand tools and scales. Handles, applies, stores and disposes of composite materials, adhesives, sealants, resins and solvents.
- Read and understand technical drawings.
- Repairs damaged composite areas, utilizing a variety of composite repair methods including damage area detection, precise damage removal and preparation, wet layup repair, prepreg repair, heat blanket, local vacuum bagging, temporary Caul plate fabrication and installation and repair finishing
Other Job Functions
- Other duties may be assigned
- Infrequent Travel required working at customers facilities.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- May be required to obtain a Special Program Access prior to start.
- Maintain the ability demonstrate skills equivalent to Blueprint I and shop math.
- Must be knowledgeable in the use of process specifications.
- Must be able to use precision measuring devices.
- Interpret and work from Industry Specs.
- Handle a great deal of repair work.
- Train and mentor other Assemblers.
- Work directly with Engineering to develop new components and or trouble shoot problems
- Work directly with Manufacturing Engineering to refine manufacturing documentation and techniques.
- Be proactive to look for process improvement ideas.
- Typical qualifications for this level include an advanced level of:
- Math Skills
- Documentation– skills in reading and writing various forms of documentation
- Computer Skills
- Materials Knowledge
- Ability to operate equipment used within department
- Ability to read, interpret, and follow processes and procedures
- Ability to use powered and non-powered tools to perform cutting, grinding, drilling of composite materials.
- Ability to understand and follow KUAS Quality System
- Adherence to all Safety procedures
- Normally exceeds standard production hours
- Ability to maintain sensitive and confidential information as required by government standards
- Ability to interact effectively with peers and supervisors
- Ability to interact appropriately with the public when necessary
- Ability to adhere to workplace rules
- Ability to effectively communicate professionally in writing or verbally with all levels of personnel
Kratos UAS, based in Sacramento, CA, designs and delivers advanced defense, and security solutions that support the important missions of our customers. Our pride and dedication shows in everything we do. Knowing that our work enables the U.S. military and government to recognize, manage and defeat threats, inspires us to push ourselves and our technologies to new levels.