The Chief Engineer provides technical vision for the assigned product line across all projects under the product line umbrella. For the product line: facilities communication and synergy across the multiple projects through the development and maintenance of the product line technical road map; technical lead for proposals efforts through ownership of technical volume and technical basis of estimates; overall accountability for technical product lifecycle direction to meet strategic business objectives.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Overarching technical lead on unmanned aircraft systems under the assigned product line
- For project(s)/contract(s) without Sr. Project Engineer assignments under the assign product line, performs the Sr. Project Engineer roles
- Supports business development and program management as the lead technical contact for proposal efforts relating to the product line
- Creates and maintains the technical road map for the product line. This roadmap details the technical vision for the product line.
- Ensures project design implementation efforts under the product line umbrella are staying within the vision for the product line.
- Facilitates communication with project engineers on the technical vision
- Communicates vision with upper management to ensure within the company vision
- Supports program management and project engineers with development of program planning strategies, technical cost estimates, evaluations of alternatives, risk management, logistics management, cost-performance trade-offs, preparation of data, status updates and presentations at customer reviews.
- Directs and works with project engineer(s) to develop solutions to customer requirements and facilitates resolutions where product line conflicts arise.
- For the assigned product line and product line derivatives, is the overriding design authority for the product including all new development and product enhancements.
- Responsible for facilitating the integration of multi-program/project requirements without design/manufacturing configuration and the cost
- Assists with setting priorities across the product line. Ensures roles and responsibilities are clearly defined and coordinated with project engineer(s).
- Provides support to Project Engineer(s) as necessary, to include, but not limited or project planning, estimating, execution of project tasks and management of the engineering team of integrated product team (IPT).
- Assists the functional managers with developing and implementing improved procedures and standards to ensure that output is high quality, accurate, on –time, and within budget; which includes establishing metrics (key performance indicators) for the engineering projects and accountabilities for achieving results.
- Provides direction and leadership on technical and technology issues and collaborates with Chief Technical Officer, Vice President of Engineering, Technical Director, and/or Engineering Operations Manager, as appropriate from cross-product line issues and lessons learned.
- Defines and manages risks of technical approaches in terms of resources/tools and personnel needs across the product line.
- Enforces the execution of company engineering design processes.
- Lead failure analysis and root cause investigation using corrective action tools and techniques needed to effectively solve problems.
- Fosters ethical conduct and personal integrity thoughout Engineering to ensure the companys ability to attract and retain customers in highly competitive environment.
- Assists the project engineer(s) with customer requirements, goals, and expectations.
- Reports progress across the product line in meeting external/internal customer requirements, goals, and expectations as it relates to the technical roadmap
- Provide mentorship to product line project engineer(s)
- Assist in accomplishing human resource strategies by communicating and enforcing values, policies, and procedures; mentoring product line Project Engineer(s), providing input into the appraisal of employees, and reviewing/recognizing job contributions.
Other Job Functions
- Other duties may be assigned
- Facilitates implementation of the technical objectives of the companys product line design strategy working closely with the Sr. Project Engineers to ensure the design approach and solutions are aligned with the product line vision
- May be assigned to lead complex, multi-system, multi-discipline engineering projects outside of the assigned product line.
- No direct reports
- Achieves results through leading and mentoring Senior Project Engineers and/or Project Engineers in a matrixed environment
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- Excellent engineering and/or project management experience
- Strong technical knowledge of unmanned aircraft systems and related support systems
- Knowledge of military operations
- Excellent communication and relationship skills with Senior Leadership, Program Management, Customers and engineering team members
- Proficiency with MS Office products, including MS Project for Integrated Master Schedule development and review
- Knowledge of compliance elements for ISO,EVMS and Export regulations
- Knowledge of finance, accounting and earned value management practices and procedures
- Strong understanding and experience with engineering fundamentals.
- Strong presentation preparation and delivery skills with audiences such as Subcontractors, Prime and Government.
- Strong technical writing skills to communicate internally or externally
- Demonstrated passion for customer satisfaction
- Ability to maintain sensitive and confidential information as required by government standards
- Ability to interact effectively with peers and supervisors
- Ability to interact appropriately with the public when necessary
- Ability to adhere to workplace rules
- Ability to effectively communicate professionally in writing or verbally with all levels of personnel
- Flexibility to handle changing requirements and prioritize in a dynamic environment
Additional Desirable Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Engineering management experience in the aerospace or aviation industry
- Demonstrated ability to work cross-functionally to meet department and company goals and requirements for assigned product line.
- Knowledge of companys operations and procedures preferred.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelors degree (Masters degree preferred) in an applicable engineering, technical, or science discipline. Masters in Business Administration is desirable.
- Minimum 12 years relevant technical experience with Engineering, Systems, Integration, Test, Software, and/or Engineering Project Leadership, preferably within the aerospace or aviation industries, or minimum 8 years with Masters degree.
- May be required to obtain and maintain a U.S. security clearance at the appropriate level (requires U.S. Citizenship).
WORK ENVIRONMENT / PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS:
- Office and/or manufacturing environment
- May work extended hours or weekends to to complete tasks and meet schedule
- May work in manufacturing and/or field environments with potential exposure to uncontrolled climate condidtions and potential exposure to noise, dust and hazardous chemicals
- Ability to lift up to 25 pounds
- Ability to perform repetitive motion (computer work, phones)
- Ability to stand and sit for long period of time