Perform a variety of engineering tasks in the development of unmanned aerial vehicles and related subsystems.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
The duties and responsibilities listed below apply to all levels of Aero/Flight Sciences Engineers. Each successive level of Aero/Flight Sciences Engineer builds on job functions listed for the previous level(s) of Aero/Flight Sciences Engineer.
- Flight test planning, execution, and analysis
- Preliminary aircraft design
- Aircraft performance modeling and simulation
- Control system design and analysis
- Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD) analysis
- Aerodynamic loads determination
- Wind tunnel test planning, execution, and analysis
- Support various hardware/software design, test, troubleshooting, and documentation activities
- Analyses in support of requirements generation, verification, and validation
- Prepare formal, controlled engineering documentation (ie. drawings, specifications, test procedures, technical reports, etc.).
- Prepare and presents design review material in support of technical interchange meetings with suppliers and external/internal customers.
- Support customer training activities
- Foreign and domestic travel to support flight test activities
- Manages effort and time within the budget and schedule provided for the task.
- Follows safety precautions.
- Ensures that the work area and equipment are kept clean.
- Complies with established QMS procedures.
Aero/Flight Sciences Engineer I
- Performs simple engineering tasks as assigned by their Manager.
Aero/Flight Sciences Engineer II
- Performs moderate engineering tasks as assigned by their Manager.
- Acts as lead engineer as required for various contract deliverables.
- Presents design review and technical interchange material to major customers.
- Develop analyses in support of requirements generation, verification, and validation.
- Provides onsite support during various test activities.
- Mentors Level I Aero/Flight Sciences Engineers.
- Supports business development efforts in preparation of proposals.
Other Job Functions (all levels)
- Other duties may be assigned
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
Aero/Flight Sciences Engineer (Basic - all levels)
- Understanding of basic aerodynamics
- Demonstrated strength in one or more of the listed technical competencies.
- Ability to maintain sensitive and confidential information as required by government standards
- Ability to interact effectively with peers and supervisors
- Ability to interact appropriately with the public when necessary
- Ability to adhere to workplace rules
- Demonstrated focus on customer satisfaction.
- Demonstrated strong communication skills.
- Must be able to work in a multidisciplinary team environment.
- Ability to travel as necessary to perform job duties.
- May be required to obtain and maintain a U.S. security clearance at the appropriate level (requires U.S. Citizenship).
Additional Desirable Skills (all levels):
- MATLAB and Simulink experience strongly preferred.
- Experience in STAR CCM+ is strongly preferred.
- Familiarity with unmanned aircraft systems and operations is preferred.
- Exposure to jet propulsion technology and composite airframe design methods are desirable.
- Exposure to airworthiness certification of aircraft (military or civilian) is desirable.
- Understanding of autopilot flight control design is desirable
- Familiarity with C/C++ and Java software is desirable.
Technical Competencies include:
- Control system design and analysis.
- Empirical aerodynamic (textbook) analysis.
- Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD) analysis.
- Preliminary aircraft design including configuration analysis.
- Outer Mold Line (OML) definition including surface shaping, sizing and placement.
- Aerodynamic loads development.
- Performance modeling and estimation.
- Air vehicle performance requirements and analysis.
- Weight and balance estimation, tracking, and management.
- Engine inlet, exhaust design and ventilation design.
- Engine performance requirements/analysis.
- Develop, maintain, and document aerodynamic databases.
- Simulation of airframe, systems, and environment.
- Guidance algorithm development, analysis and test.
- Navigation system design, analysis, and test.
- Ground/Flight testing best practices.